This meatball soup recipe is a tasty and simple way to enjoy homemade or store-bought meatballs. It has a delicious tomato broth and pasta!
PREP TIME:10 M |COOK TIME:30 M |TOTAL TIME:40 M |SERVINGS:4 |CALORIES:509 kcal |
1 pound meatballs see note
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can crushed tomatoes I used fire roasted
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped small
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1.5 cups fusilli pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh basil torn/chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (for serving) optional, to taste
Prep time for this soup doesn’t include making meatballs from scratch. If needed, make the meatballs (use my meatball recipe and you’ll have about half of the batch left over for other meals) or use store-bought or your own recipe.
Add the olive oil and onions to a soup pot over medium-high heat and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, red bell pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, and meatballs. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil.
Add the pasta once it’s boiling.
Reduce the heat and simmer it (covered, with the lid slightly open) for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Stir it a few times to ensure the pasta isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot. Note: Some brands of crushed tomatoes are thicker than others. Add more beef broth if the soup has become too thick (this soup is meant to be quite brothy).
Stir in the basil and season with salt & pepper as needed. Serve with parmesan grated over top if desired.
- Meatballs vary a lot in size and ingredients, so add as many as you think people will eat. I added 12 from my homemade recipe since they’re fairly large.
- Served 4-6 depending on how many meatballs are added/how hungry people are, and what else it’s served with.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. The meatballs in this calculation are the generic ones in the nutrition calculator.
NUTRITIONCalories: 509kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 29gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 1226mgPotassium: 1161mgFiber: 5gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 1056IUVitamin C: 40mgCalcium: 118mgIron: 5mg