Skip to content
Italian Wedding Soup is the most delicious soup recipe and is from my mother who was born in Italy!
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled finely
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
For the soup:
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced finely
- 2 stalks celery, diced finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup acini pasta or other small pasta
- 1 cup escarole, baby spinach OR kale, chopped
- Begin preparing the meatballs by adding all meatball ingredients except olive oil to a large bowl. Knead everything together with your hands. Pinch off small pieces and roll into balls.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add some of the meatballs to the pan, only as many as will fit without touching, and cook for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway thru.
- Cook remaining meatballs and set aside.
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp. oil and saute onions, carrots, and celery until tender. Stir in minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and meatballs, reduce heat to medium, and cover. Cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and let cook until spinach wilts, then season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with parmesan cheese.