Instant Pot chicken parmesan is the easiest chicken dinner that you can make in the Instant Pot in just 20 minutes!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts skinless, boneless, cut into cutlets (see note*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 ounces (680g) marinara
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- Cooked pasta for serving
Season the chicken cutlets with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
To the Instant Pot, add the marinara sauce (and ¼ cup of water if your marinara sauce is thick) followed by the seasoned chicken cutlets. Spoon the marinara sauce over the chicken to cover it.
Secure the lid and set the vent to SEALING. Select the PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL setting and set the cooking time for 3 minutes at high pressure. The Instant Pot will take around 6-7 minutes to come to pressure and start cooking. When the cooking program ends, quickly release the steam.
Carefully remove the lid, and top the chicken with parmesan followed with mozzarella. Cover with the lid again to let the cheese melt (if necessary, switch on the SAUTE setting for a few minutes to help the cheese melt).
Garnish the chicken parmesan with chopped basil leaves and some extra grated parmesan if desired, and serve over buttered spaghetti.
- The chicken breasts that we buy are medium-sized, I cut them lengthwise and pound them and 3 minutes on high pressure is perfect. If yours are large, cook them for 4-5 minutes.
- The best way to check the doneness of the chicken is by inserting a kitchen thermometer in the center of the chicken, and the internal temperature of the chicken should read 165F or 75C.
- If the cutlets are too large or uneven, you can pound them with a meat mallet so that they cook evenly.
- The Italian seasoning is optional but adds a lot to the flavor.
- Depending on what marinara sauce you’re using, have a taste, and see if you need to season it with salt before you cook with it.
- After pressure cooking, you can remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and transfer it to a baking dish with the sauce. Top with parmesan and mozzarella, then place under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese melts and bubbles.
- To store: Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- To reheat: The best way to reheat chicken parm is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F and reheat in an oven-dish covered wit aluminum foil for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is heated through and the cheese is melted.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 1980mg | Potassium: 1014mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g |
Vitamin A: 1084IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 321mg | Iron: 2mg