“Southern-style Fried Chicken cooked in an Air Fryer! Easy recipe that creates a crunchy, golden, crisp fried chicken”
Visual learner? Watch me make this Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken from start to finish!
I caved yall. I just couldn’t fight it any more ok! I had to have it.
I’m talking about the highly talked-about Air Fryer!
Do you have an Air Fryer? I usually don’t fall for new kitchen appliances. I still haven’t caved to the Instapot (yet) but FOMO (fear of missing out) was strong on this one!
I mean, can chicken fried in air REALLY taste like it was fried in oil like the reviews are saying??? Would my french fries seriously “fry” up crisp and golden without needing to use oil?
Nuh-uhn, stop playing! I didn’t believe it at all. So off to King Amazon, I went!
I read a dizzying number of reviews and felt completely stumped on which brand or size to get. After playing eeny meeny miny moe, I landed on the 3.8QT Air Fryer. It looked pretty straight forward without too many settings to fool with and had great reviews
3 Tips for the BEST Air Fried Southern Fried Chicken
- ALWAYS lightly coat chicken with oil or butter. I used olive oil. Oil will help the breading crisp up and come to that beautiful, crunchy golden brown color. If you don’t use enough oil the breading will have a slightly powdery texture.
- DO NOT expect for it to taste like chicken fried in oil. Whatever you do, don’t set yourself up for this. Just don’t. It doesn’t taste like it’s cooked in oil. Yes, it’s crispy and golden which is a win for hardly any oil.
- Go easy on the breading. Lightly coat the chicken evenly in the egg mixture and flour. I love a thick, triple dipped fried chicken, but in the air fryer I’ve discovered a thinner coat will crisp up better and it’s as fragile.
Get the Recipe: Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- olive oil
Wash and dry chicken, set aside.
In a bowl combine seasonings.
Coat chicken generously with about a tablespoon of the spice mixture. (Add a splash of olive oil to the chicken to help distribute the spices if needed. Really rub it in!). Set aside.
In a gallon-size plastic bag, mix together flour, cornstarch, and remaining spice mix. (VERY IMPORTANT: Flour SHOULD taste well-seasoned. Add in more spices and salt if needed) Set aside.
In a large dish, mix together eggs, hot sauce, milk, and water.
Coat chicken very lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
Place on a tray to allow time for some of the flour to absorb a little.
Coat the chicken in the egg mixture (shaking off excess).
Immediately, coat the chicken lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.
Let chicken rest for about 15 minutes so that some of the flour is absorbed.
Use an oil mister or brush, to coat the chicken very lightly (all over) with olive oil.
Place chicken in greased Air Fryer basket, allowing room for the air to flow all around the chicken. (do not crowd)
Cook according to your air fryer, flipping halfway and brushing very lightly with more oil (if needed) so that no flour is visible. (I cooked on 350 F. for about 18 minutes)
Remove and let chicken rest for about 5 minutes.
Serve immediately. (Homemade air fried chicken does not stay crisp very long)