These Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are stuffed with veggies and cheese, making for a great appetizer that’s perfect for all occasions. A great and delicious way for stuffing big mushrooms, simple to make and always a crowd favorite!
- Prep: 10minutes
- Cook: 35minutes
- Total: 45minutes
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (or 8 smaller ones)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- 4 cocktail tomatoes (chopped)
- ¼ cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Frank’s)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
Prep the oven: Preheat oven to 400°F.
Prep the mushrooms: Carefully remove stems from mushrooms, reserve and chop the stems for the stuffing. Place the mushrooms stem side down onto a baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the water leaks out of them. Remove from the oven and using paper towels soak up excess water. Set aside.
Make the filling: In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for a couple minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the green pepper and spinach to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes, until the spinach wilts. Add tomatoes, goat cheese, salt, pepper, mushrooms stems, hot sauce and breadcrumbs. Stir and cook for an additional couple minutes.
Stuff the mushrooms: Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture equally. Top with mozzarella cheese. If using smaller mushrooms you should have enough mixture for about 8 mushrooms.
Bake: Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Any large mushrooms work for this recipe, you basically want to make sure that they have enough room after you remove the stem, to hold your stuffing.
- Don’t soak the mushrooms in water, use a mushroom brush to clean them.
- Don’t skip the step of removing excess water from the mushrooms.
- You can store leftover stuffed mushrooms in the fridge for 5 to 7 days in an airtight container.
- These stuffed mushrooms are perfect for freezing, however, it’s best to freeze them before baking. Freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1 mushroom Calories: 221kcal (11%) Carbohydrates: 20g (7%) Protein: 13g (26%) Fat: 11g (17%) Saturated Fat: 5g (31%) Trans Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 18mg (6%) Sodium: 539mg (23%) Potassium: 718mg (21%) Fiber: 5g (21%) Sugar: 5g (6%) Vitamin A: 9532IU (191%)Vitamin C: 25mg (30%)Calcium: 231mg (23%)Iron: 3mg (17%)