Smoky Tomato White Bean Soup made with dry beans in an instant pot or on the stovetop. Vegan and gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 cups
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/4 cup white wine (or skip it)
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices (or 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 cup roasted bell pepper, chopped (from a jar is OK or use a fresh bell pepper)
- 6 cups veggi broth or chicken stock ( or sub water and 2 teaspoons veggie bullion)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or AC vinegar
Garnish: Harissa Oil or olive oil, fresh flat-leaf parsley, bread
1 lb dry white beans, soaked 8-12 hours ( 2 cups dry, 5 cups soaked)2 tablespoons olive oil
- Set Instant Pot to Saute function.
- Heat oil and saute onions 5 minutes. Add garlic, stir for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and thyme, give a good stir. Deglaze with wine and scrape up any brown bits.
- Add tomatoes, roasted peppers, drained white beans, broth or stock, salt, smoked paprika, cumin, pepper, cayenne and bay leaves. Give a good stir.
- Set Instant pot to High Pressure for 12 minutes.
- Manually Release after 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
Serve with a drizzle of Harissa Oil, or a drizzle of olive oil, fresh flat-leaf parsley, pepper and bread. This Roasted garlic olive bread is especially nice here.
Optional Harissa oil: whisk 1 tablespoon Harissa paste with 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl.
Meat-eaters- add a 1/4 cup Spanish-style chorizo ( finely chopped) to add smoky flavor.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, in a oven, and saute onions 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium, add garlic, stir for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add carrots, celery and thyme, give a good stir, cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze with wine and scrape up any brown bits.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, roasted peppers, broth or stock, soaked beans, salt, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne, pepper and bay leaves. Give a good stir.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently on low or medium-low until the beans are tender roughly 20 -25 minutes (depending on what size beans you use). Uncover and cook off some of the liquid if need be.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 881.6 mg
- Fat: 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.7 g
- Fiber: 10.3 g
- Protein: 9.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg