Savory pork sausage wrapped in puff pastry, baked to golden brown perfection. This sausage rolls recipe is the perfect make-ahead appetizer, sausage rolls are delicious served hot or cold.
- Total Time: 10 minutes | Yield 24 Mini Sausage Rolls
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet- Homemade or Store-bought- I prefer Pepperidge Farms, thawed
- 12oz Mild Pork Sausage Meat
- 1 Egg & splash of water
- Optional add: thyme, sage, or onion spices to the sausage meat
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with a liner or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and water, set aside.
- On a floured work surface place puff pastry sheet, (if using Pepperidge Farms it should already be scored into 3.) Cut pastry sheet into thirds then roll the pastry out just a bit (see the picture above).
- Take a chunk of the pork sausage meat and roll it into a snake shape-just under ½” thick. Place the sausage on one side of the pastry, not super close to the edge- you are going to fold the other side of the pastry over the sausage meat and enclose it with the bit of pastry next to the sausage.
- Before closing the pastry brush a bit of egg wash on the bottom of the pastry next to the sausage, then fold the pastry over the sausage. Using a fork to press down into the pastry to seal the pastry together.
- Using a knife score the pastry with lots of little lines on top. Cut the sausage rolls about 1 ½-2″ thick. Place them on a baking sheet, making sure to space the sausage rolls evenly on the sheet. Brush with remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 13 minutes then rotate the pan. Bake for another 6-9 minutes- or until the sausage rolls are golden brown. Transfer the sausage rolls to a wire rack right after you take them out of the oven.