An easy version of the popular Chinese Pepper Steak all cooked in the Instant Pot. This meal is ready in less than.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
- 1 tbsp cooking oil like olive oil or canola oil
- 2 bell peppers seeds removed and thinly sliced (about 1/3 inch thick)
- 1 lb flank steak thinly sliced against the grain (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp regular soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp water
Add oil to Instant Pot and set Instant Pot on saute function.
When the oil is hot, add in peppers. Stir and cook peppers until tender but still very crisp. Remove peppers and set aside.
Add 3/4 cup water, soy sauces, rice vinegar, ginger, brown sugar and black pepper to Instant Pot. Stir to evenly mix. Add in beef and stir a few times to separate the beef slices and mix the beef with the sauce.
Seal the Instant Pot and set to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. While beef is cooking, add cornstarch and 3 tbsp of water to a small bowl. Whisk until cornstarch is completely dissolved in the water.
When beef is done cooking, do a quick release. Do not allow it to do a natural release because it will overcook the beef.
Once it is safe to open the Instant Pot, lift the lid and stir a few times, allowing some of the trapped liquid to evaporate from the beef sauce. Pour in the cornstarch water and stir in quickly so that it does not clump up. Stir until sauce is thickened.
Add bell peppers and stir into sauce. Set Instant Pot to saute function and cook peppers and beef for about 1 minute. Turn off Instant Pot. Serve warm over rice or your favorite rice substitute.
- Make sure to perform a quick release when beef is done cooking. A natural release will overcook the beef, breaking it down to a stew-meat like texture.
- Choose a tender beef cut like flank steak or top sirloi. Make sure to slice the beef against the grain.
- You want to use 2 bell peppers total. I used one green bell pepper, 1/2 a red bell pepper and 1/2 an orange bell pepper to add some more color and variety.
Serving: 0.25of recipe, Calories: 238kcal, Carbohydrates: 12g, Protein: 26g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Sodium: 584mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 5g, NET CARBS: 11