The perfect summer cake! This gluten-free and dairy-free berry Chantilly cake is fluffy, light, and easy to make. Soft vanilla cake layers, fresh summer berries, and whipped cream make this cake a total crowd-pleaser.
- 2 ½ cups (350g) gluten-free flour blend *check to see if it contains xanthan gum or guar gum
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum *omit if gf blend contains it or if using regular cake flour
- ¾ cup (168g) dairy-free salted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature *can substitute liquid egg replacer for vegan
- ¼ cup (59ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (300ml) dairy-free milk, room temperature
- 3 cups fresh berries (any berry or mixed berries you prefer
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare three 8-inch round baking pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum (if using), and salt, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl with an electric handheld mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and oil on high speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix on high for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the dry ingredients from step 2 and turn the mixer on low.
- While the mixer is on low slowly pour in the milk and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Divide the cake batter evenly into the three prepared 8-inch round baking pans and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake layers on the cooling rack and allow them to fully cool. If freezing the cake layers for a later time, wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and place them in the freezer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer pour in the cold whipping cream and begin to mix on low.
- Slowly add the icing sugar and whipping cream stabilizer (if using) and mix until combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and turn the mixer up to high. Whip on high for 4-5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Place one layer of vanilla cake on a plate, cake board, and/or turntable. Top with approximately ⅓ of the whipping cream and ⅓ of the fresh berries.
- Repeat with the remaining layers.
- Decorate the cake as you please. I used a few tiny white garden flowers and leaves for decor on top of the cake with the fresh berries and sprinkled on a bit of glittery sugar. Enjoy!
- Store any leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Note that fresh berries will release their natural juice when kept in the fridge and whipping cream will slowly begin to lose its shape over time even when refrigerated.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 546
- Sugar: 38 Grams
- Sodium: 57 Miligrams
- Fat: 33 Grams
- Carbohydrates: 54 Grams
- Fiber: 3 Grams
- Protein: 7 Grams
- Cholesterol: 134 Miligrams