Crispy and tender, these air fryer chicken nuggets are quite simply the best! Coated in seasoned breadcrumbs and so quick and easy to make, they are the perfect appetizer!
SERVINGS: 4 PEOPLE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup all-purpose divided
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 cup breadcrumbs store-bought or homemade
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2×2-inch chunks
FOR THE BREADCRUMBS
Depending on the size of the bread, you can make your own bread crumbs from about four slices of bread. Place bread in the basket, and set time for about 5-7 minutes at 350°F, flipping over halfway. The air fryer makes the bread very crisp! I put my bread into the food processor, and in just about 30 seconds, I had perfect, fresh breadcrumbs. (Four slices equaled one cup almost exactly.)
FOR THE CHICKEN NUGGETS
Using a pastry brush, brush half of the oil onto the basket of your air fryer. This will keep the batter from sticking to the basket as it cooks. Set the basket aside.2 tablespoons olive oil
Set out 3 small bowls. Add ½ cup of flour to one bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup flour, milk, and seasonings. Fill the third bowl with the breadcrumbs. Place the bowls next to each other for easy dipping.1 cup all-purpose,½ cup milk,1 teaspoon kosher salt,½ teaspoon ground black pepper,½ teaspoon ground paprika,1 cup breadcrumbs
Dip each piece of chicken into the flour.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
From the flour mixture, move the nugget to the milk/seasonings mixture and toss to coat.
Finally, coat each piece with breadcrumbs and place it into the oiled air fryer basket without stacking.
Repeat coating for each piece, until all are covered and in the basket (note: don’t crowd the basket. You may need to air fry in batches).
Brush the nuggets with the remaining oil. Select chicken, make sure the temperature is 380°F, and cook on each side for 7 minutes. If you prefer extra crispy, you can cook an additional minute on each side.
- I also tried panko crumbs, and they worked too! They have a different texture, and I liked the breadcrumb texture better. You can also add hot sauce or chili powder to the milk and seasonings mixture if you want a spicier chicken nugget.
- If in a hurry, and you aren’t concerned with how “Pretty” the nuggets look, you can pour the flour over the chicken pieces in a larger bowl and toss until they are covered. It saves a step, but I wanted to make sure all of my pieces were evenly covered.
Storage: Store air fryer chicken nuggets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
NUTRITIONServing: 0.25pound | Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 923mg | Potassium: 561mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 208IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 3mg