This lemon chicken orzo soup recipe is light, healthy, and cozy. It uses wholesome everyday ingredients and is sure to become a family favorite!
2 sticks celery chopped finely
2 medium carrots peeled & chopped finely
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons flour
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1.5 pounds uncooked chicken breasts
1 cup uncooked orzo
1 tablespoon lemon juice or to taste
1 tablespoon chopped parsley or to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
Sauté the celery, carrots, and onions in a large soup pot with the butter and oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- You can sub the chicken breasts for chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Chicken is safe to eat at 165F and can go from undercooked to overcooked quickly, so I recommend using an instant read meat thermometer whenever cooking chicken so you’re not guessing.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth if you’re sensitive to salt.
- You may need to add more chicken broth to leftovers as the orzo soaks it up.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.