Instant Pot Salisbury Steak, Gravy and Mashed Potatoes–good old fashioned salisbury steak is prepared in your pressure cooker with a savory mushroom and onion gravy and creamy mashed potatoes. An amazing homemade one pot meal that will have you throwing away any TV dinners that you have in your freezer.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes plus 5 minute NPR
- Yield: 4 servings
For the Steak:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup garlic and herb breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp steak seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
For the Gravy:
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 8 ounces diced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Prepare all your ingredients: For this recipe I diced the onions, mushrooms, peeled the potatoes, peeled the garlic cloves and laid out all the ingredients on my counter. It makes the cooking process much quicker if you have everything kind of ready to go.
- Make your steaks: In a medium bowl use your hands (I like to use gloves for this step) to combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, steak seasoning, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Divide the meat into four equal portions. Form into patties about 3/4 inch thick.
- Brown the patties: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function. When it reads HOT on the display add in 1 Tbsp of vegetable/canola oil. Carefully place the patties in the pot and brown on each side for 3 minutes. Do not mess with them while they are browning. Just give them the full 3 minutes on each side. Gently transfer the patties to a plate. Set aside.
- Make your gravy: There should be oil in the pot still from the beef and the oil. Add in your diced onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add in your mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the beef broth.
- Potatoes: Place a steamer basket in the Instant Pot on top of the beef broth. Place all your diced potatoes and the 2 peeled garlic cloves into the steamer basket.
- Place a flat piece of foil on top of the potatoes/steamer basket. Gently place your steaks on top of the foil.
- Pressure cook. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual button or pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the cook time ends let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then move the valve to venting and release any remaining pressure.
- Prepare mashed potatoes: While the food is pressure cooking get a serving bowl out for the mashed potatoes. Put the half and half and the butter in the bottom of the bowl. When the pressure is released, carefully open the lid. Use silicone oven mitts to remove the foil (it will be hot!) and set the meat aside. Carefully remove the steamer basket full of potatoes. Pour the potatoes and garlic in the bowl with the half and half and butter. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. The potatoes will be so hot they will melt the butter. Add in 1/2 tsp of salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Finish the gravy: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function. In a small bowl stir together the 1 Tbsp of cornstarch and 1 Tbsp of water until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. The gravy will thicken almost immediately. Once it does, switch the Instant Pot to the Keep Warm function. Stir in 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Serve: Spoon potatoes onto each serving plate and top with a steak patty and ladle gravy over the top. Enjoy!