Air fryer whole chicken – so tasty and juicy. With beautifully caramelized crispy skin. I cooked multiple whole chickens in the air fryer. I love how they come out perfectly every time. And I don’t even brine them. Previously.
- Whole Chicken. I used the 4 and 1/2 pound chicken
- 2 Tablespoon Olive oil or Avocado oil.
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs (for garnishing)
1. Discard neck from inside of the cavity. Remove any excess fat. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a small bowl, combine the oil with all the above seasoning to make a paste.
3. Using your hands and rub the paste all over the chicken, both sides, wings and legs.
4. Preheat the air fryer at 360F/180C
5. Place the whole chicken in the air fryer basket or tray breast side down.
6. Cook for 30 minutes on air fry mode.
7. Flip the chicken on the other side and cook for another 30 minutes.8. Check to make sure the internal temperature is 165F.
Notes and tips for the first-timers.
Check the chicken every 20 minutes to ensure the skin is not burning.If this happens, cover the chicken with a small sheet of aluminum foil.
Please keep in mind that you may need to attach the aluminum foil to the chicken to ensure it stays put (and not flying around).
To do so, use the toothpicks and secure each side of the foil with the toothpick.
Attach it to the chicken. Please see the pictures.
If you don’t secure the foil with the toothpicks, the air fryer hot air fan may lift and spin the aluminum foil sheet.
Note: I do not recommend using chunky herbs or spices, or else they may start burning on the chicken skin faster. But again, if this happens, you can cover the chicken with foil to prevent further burning of the skin.