These lemon meringue cupcakes made in an air fryer for a quick and easy treat still pack all the flavour of traditional baked cupcakes.
Servings: 4 | Prep-time: 20 minutes | Cook-time: 12 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp store-bought lemon curd
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 4 tbsp fine white sugar
- Set the air fryer to bake and preheat the air fryer to 180 degrees celcius.
- In one bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Place the silicone muffin moulds in the air fryer and fill them with the mixture.
- Set the timer to 12 minutes and air fry until golden and until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- To make the meringue icing beat the egg whites until frothy and slowly add the sugar then beat further until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Remove the middle of the cupcake with a small spoon and set aside.
- Fill the cupcake with lemon curd.
- Pipe the meringue mixture on the cupcake and put the cupcakes back in the air fryer for 38 seconds to get the golden top.